Monday, October 11, 2010

Benefits of the docx over the good old doc

What was wrong with the old Microsoft office doc files (prior Microsoft 2007)? This was a random thought I had, so I went out to search for an answer (I sometimes have too much times on my hands)

Here is a quick summary of my findings:
  • Improved damage recovery so if a single segment or component of the file is corrupt, the rest of the document can be read.
  • Smaller files: files are automatically compressed to smaller files. 
  • Easy detection of files that contain macros. This can be like a preview functionality or a security measure. 
So, looks like Microsoft didn't do it just to annoy people.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I agree. The new extension files (.pptx, .xlsx, .docx) are about 50% smaller compared to the old extension (.doc, .ppt, .xls), and new extension office files are not corrupted so easily.

    ReplyDelete