Saturday, January 16, 2010

Asms file missing when installing windows

Yesterday, I helped a friend install Windows XP. When the computer restarted, the setup could not be completed because the "Asms" file was missing from the Windows Xp CD. Apparently, it was caused by the computer not detecting the optical drive in my case.

After several tries, which took several hours of my time, I found a remedy that worked for me. The remedy to the problem which worked for me was to reformat the hard drive into NTFS (originally it was FAT32) and repeat the setup. When the computer rebooted, I had to open and close the DVD drive for it to detect it. Setup continued normally from then onwards.

*The Microsoft website also discusses the problem, but I have not tried any of the solutions presented there.

No comments:

Post a Comment